These days, we normally use the internet for a lot of things. We read the news, work, study, pay bills and keep in touch with others online among other things. However, the recent years have revolutionized the internet. Some people have taken advantage of the fact that the internet has made the world a global village and are looking for their soul mates through it. It is no doubt that this trend has rapidly taken root among many people as we are normally too busy to go out and meet people or even relax.
This article seeks to equip you with some knowledge, statistics, fun facts and interesting tips pertaining to relationships and online dating. It is my hope that you enjoy reading them. These interesting facts may surprise you as they did to me. Some of them might leave you in tears for they are so hilarious. So buckle up tight, sit back and relax as I take you through some of the best online dating tips.
I cannot guarantee that some of these figures are 100% reliable. (Some of them might be made by people claiming to be scientists, no offense). So go through them knowing this vital piece of information. Have fun!
Here We Go.
1. For a memorable first date, go somewhere for a drink. If you get the chance, later go for dinner.
2. Restaurants are always good choices for a first date. Statistics show that Italian restaurants are the best or most preferred during such an important occasion.
3. You have probably heard that a picture is worth more than a thousand words. For online dating, update your picture and ‘about me section.’ Around 55% of people go through the bout me’ section while 45% go through the pictures you have posted.
4. Regardless of these statistics, about 30% of online daters do not upload pictures to their dating profiles.
5. People who upload pictures on their dating profiles upload those which enhance their qualities to make them unique or to enhance their looks. Of course, doing this makes them look or appear more attractive. Those who post pictures showing them engaging in their hobbies make it easier to spark conversations when they personally meet.
6. The next important thing after the bout me’ and picture section is someone’s geographical position and the age of a potential partner.
7. When people search for a potential partner online, they are mostly turned off by drinking, political views, smoking, education, racial background, religious views and children.
8. 51% of the people seeking a relationship online are already in a relationship. 11% are married while 21% are the ones who are actually single.
9. Most online daters are motivated by the fact that they know someone who found love online. Around 80% of them actually know such people on a personal level.
10. Half the world’s population- 50%, know someone who dated a person they met online. Out of all these people, 30% of them know more than one person.
11. Around 9% of those that date online have registered on at least 3 or more dating sites or dating platforms.
12. The average courtship time before marriage for those who meet online is shorter than those who know each other in person. (offline: 42 months, online 18 months)
13. Around 10% of the world population makes use of online dating platforms to find love.
14. 17% of those who got married in 2010 met online.
15. Mobile phone Google searches on or about dating in the United Kingdom grew by over 200% year after year since 2008.
16. 36% of online daters admit that they ended their relationship with their online partner because of their looks. 12% of women and 31% of men dumped their online partner due to overweight issues.
17. Each day, around 3 million dating sites are created globally.
18. The most common reasons of breaking up include: a) Distance is a real deal breaker . b) Cheating is no doubt a deal breaker. c) Lost interest.
19. 56% of adults claim that they are not happy with their current sex life.
20. 5.6% of adults bite the dust without ever being married.
21. The Chinese are the most online dating sites users. (About 140 million people). These statistics show that they surpass the rest of the globe’s population.
22. Match.com and eHarmony are two of the most popular dating websites in the world.
23. A survey conducted in the USA states the average online dater age to be 48. However, a different survey showed that almost half of all online daters are between 18-34 years old. My guess is that the latter is more close to the truth.
24. There is no way we can claim that online dating is a sausage fest ;)! 48% of online daters are female while 52% are male.
25. 10% or 1/10 of online dating users are on dating platforms to scam others.
26. 10% of users delete their profile in 3 months time.
27. In the United States of America, women mostly lie about: a) Overall outlook. b) Weight. c) Age- on their profiles.
28. In the United States of America, men mostly lie about: a) Their income. b) Their weight. c) Their height- on their profiles.
29. Generally, men around the world mostly lie a lot about the number of partners they previously had and the kind of relationship they are seeking in their profiles.
30. Averagely, women lie most on their profiles compared to men.
31. 1 in 3 women who met someone online engaged in sex during the first date. 80% of them never used protection.
32. Beware! 1 in 10 sex offenders use online dating platforms to meet people. Around 3% of men in dating websites are psychopaths. Still, we cannot dismiss online dating. We can’t say it is more dangerous than normal or regular dating.
33. Most women who use online dating platforms are afraid of meeting any of the mentioned freaks or serial killers.
34. At the same time, men claimed to be afraid of commitment and women who won’t allow them to meet with their pals anytime they want to.
35. New couples tend to wait until 6-8 dates lapse for them to know each other better. You definately know what this means.
36. New couples mostly break up after 3-5 months after getting together.
Relationship expert. I like to write articles that helps people get back on the horse and start dating again. I have been writing for blogs since 2003